Monday, July 11, 2011

Yellowstone Day 3


Picking up where I left off before, on our third day in Yellowstone we left the beautiful campground at Madison, for Mammoth Hot Springs, which is the park headquarters.
There are two main attractions at Yellowstone: one is the strange geological formations that result from Yellowstone's character as a giant volcano. Then there are the mountains. You can see both in the picture.
Mammoth Hot springs is just that: a giant hot spring, only some of which is active at any time. A large mountainside where springs emerge and dry up here and there, never quite the same place twice.

And then there are the mountains. I'm sorry the pictures do such poor justice to the mountains that are off in the distance, but as we stood on top of the "geological formations" (for lack of a better word), I was transported back to Switzerland, where we used to visit when I was a child/teenager. Click on the picture below, then zoom in for a better sense of how marvelous it was to see this part of God's creation!
From Mammoth Hot Springs we traveled over a pass (9500 ft. or so if I remember correctly; Mammoth Hot Springs is at around 65oo ft.) through Tower Junction to our next campground at Canyon village.


1 comment:

  1. Wow, these are some beautiful photos, Pastor! I've always wanted to see Yellowstone. I didn't realize there were so many gorgeous rock formations and waterfalls there.

    ReplyDelete